Monday, December 06, 2004

My previous jobs

I have worked in several considerably big organisations throughout my 6 year career...or rather working life. I wouldn't call it career coz I have not found one real job yet! I worked in 3 companies excluding my current lousy employer.

I landed a job in SMCI Globetroniks (name of company purposely changed) in Bayan Lepas FIZ Phase IV a couple of months after graduation. This factory is directly opposite Dell. My job was supposed to be part of shift work so the working hours suck. The production runs 3 shits...I mean 3 shifts a day so you can imagine the odd working hours at times. Work starts at 8am and ends at 5 or 5.30pm (can't remember) for the non shift staff. There were meetings everyday at 9am with the VP of the company together with each production dept's section head. The meetings could run from 30 minutes to like 1 hour .... most of the time standing up! Fortunately for me, I sacked this company even before I started to follow the shifts. Food served in the cafeteria suck. This was in early 1998.

Another eomployer I worked for was Jaybil. A contract manufacturer also in Phase IV in Bayan Lepas near Globetroniks. Official working hours in this place is cool... from 8am till 4:30pm. Yes, 4:30pm but I didn't manage to leave work that early 99% of the time. Only a few people leave the office so early. You know, those people who you don't know what their jobs are and they seem so free everyday...no worries, no work pressure.... Yup, you know what I am talking about. Again, everyday there is a meeting here in the morning. Can't escape from this daily meeting as everyone in the team or what they call the "workcell" attends this meeting to see the progress of production. The BUM (Business Unit Manager), workcell manager, customer service people, MEs (Mechanical Engineers), QEs (Quality Engineers) TEs (Test Engineers), Line Manager, Material Supervisor and some technicians are the common faces you will see attending this meeting. Working environment is pretty nice. Everyone gets their own cubicle. Employees are also allowed to take about 15 minutes breakfast in the morning and also have short break for tea in the afternoon. The cafe served pretty good food and there is a small covenience store beside the cafe. Lunch time is 1 hour here. This company can pay pretty well and did not negotiate on my salary when I was interviewed back in 2001.

From Penang island, my next job was in Bukit Tengah in the mainland. Solektron was my next employer. Heheh, also a contract manufacturer and Jaybil's direct competitor. I was attached in P3 - Plant no. 3. Solektron took over Nutsteel a couple of year back and Nutsteel's existing plant in Prai is now empty. Working hours was 8 till 5.15pm. You gotta be prepared to stay till late if u wanna work here and also come back on weekends sometimes. They will give almost everyone a pager which means you are on call 24/7. Have to come back on weekends too to see if things are ok. Lunch time is 1 hr here. The canteen served average food. Most of the time I eat out with some colleagues.

So, u wanna know more good/bad things about these companies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home