Sunday, December 26, 2004

My bed was shaking so badly ...

... for about 5 to 10 seconds this morning I thought I was having a hang over from too much alcohol the night before - Christmas Day. But it could not have been due to the drinking. I was home the whole day yesterday. Only went out for dinner with my family. So I figured it ain't no hang over. Looked at the electronic alarm clock and it read approx 9am ... went back to sleep.

Apparantly, a massive earthquake had hit the Acheh area in Indonesia resulting in tremors in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. I only found out while browing through one of my favourite blogs, Always Wow.

This morning's tremor was the 2nd I experienced in my life. The 1st tremor hit Penang about 10 years ago when I was in Form 4 in secondary school. The form 6 students in the 1st and 2nd floor of the school all came running down while the form 4 students in the ground floor merely stayed put in their classes. I dare not think what will happen if the building were to collapse.

I think there was another one a couple of years back but I didn't feel that one.


My electronic clock... opps looks like one of the buttons on the left side dropped off because of the tremor. My location: Tanjung Bungah, Penang.

Anyway, according to the US Geological Survey Website, "At least 9 people killed, buildings collapsed and telephone service disrupted at Banda Aceh. Buildings destroyed or damaged at Ko Lanta, Thailand by a tsunami. Tsunamis observed on the coasts of Sri Lanka, Sumatra and Thailand. Felt widely in northern Sumatra. Felt in Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore and Thailand."

Here is another report from CNN - Asia quake leaves many feared dead.

2 Comments:

Blogger lucia said...

hey i felt the tremor too but only very slight and for a few seconds only.

i'm staying in a 5-storey flats and my place is at the topmost storey! i was gettting ready for service in church and was putting on make-up and all that. i lean close to the sink to look at the mirror and it was then i felt the tremor. i guess if i didn't lean on the sink, i might not felt it.

my sister did not felt it all while my mother who was on nature's call that time, felt it the most. the 'throne' shook she said and she can see the 'barang-barang' inside the bathroom shook too.

3:36 PM  
Blogger SeeYan said...

Hey, was shocked when heard about d news from my sister who got a sms from her friend in Pg. So, guess u felt d tremor as ur staying in Tanjung Bungah and d areas nearby. Could not believe d earth quake occured in Indonesia is d most serious one in history. Anyway, for those who stay in Pg, do get prepared coz d tremor might come back, said news reporter. all d best!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home