Friday, April 22, 2005

Cyberspace and the real world

Ever since I got my first modem back in mid-90's, one of the first few applications which interest me were chatting clients and of course browsing applications. Back in those days, everyone knows about IRC chatrooms. IRC was like heroin to me. It consumed my life. I was literally living in the chatrooms. Everyday without fail, I would connect to undernet and hang out in my favourite chatrooms. There was just something about it. I would feel agitated if I was unable to get online.

Over time, I learnt a few things from IRC. One of the most important lesson I learnt is people behave differently online and in real life. This is true most of the time. From my humble experience, people tend to express themselves easier when chatting online compared to face-to-face. People are more aggresive online. In other words, online chatting tends to bring out the animal in us. With this in mind, I always take it with a pinch of salt whenever I chat online.

The same principle applies for blogging. The purpose of blogs is to provide a means for people to express what they want to say, to facilitate analysis, to debate and discuss, to resist censorship and to create the space for a diversity of views. All this makes the cyberspace interesting and lively. So take it easy when you read someone's blog which is of a different view. Click the red button marked with an "X" on the top right hand side of your screen and surf along if there is something that you cannot digest.

Here's a little something for you to ponder...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

...anything can happen in cyberspace.

Oh... there was only one major browser then and it wasn't Microsoft's Internet Explorer....

2 Comments:

Blogger lucia said...

was it netscape browser?

hey ks, great pic you have here... just like the other 'naked girl?' pic. where on earth did you find such pics? of course you are not obligated to tell. :)

long ago i was addicted to IRC too. in fact the main reason i wanted to get online many years back was to use IRC. but been a few years i had never go back to IRC.

agree completely with your views here re: online chat and blogging. hey, you know what, ks, these days it seems you had shown a lot of wisdom on your posting. oh... don't get offended ya, that this mean earlier you were not wise! :) not at all, friend.

12:00 AM  
Blogger ks said...

I got these by email...

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home