Monday, January 31, 2005

Malaysian motorcyclists versus Vietnamese motorcyclists

Lynnee blogged about the top 10 things Malaysia bikers do that annoy the heck outta her. Her 10 reasons I couldn't agree more.

If you happen to visit Ho Chi Minh City, formerly called Saigon before the Vietnam war, then you will see why the Malaysian motorcyclists are not so bad after all.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
A "herd" of motorcyclists will stop next to you at every single junction. They get so bloody close to you, you can practically reach out your hand to "sakai" their heads for getting so close or grab their butts whichever you like. Oh yea, helmets are not compulsory so you can "sakai" harder if you choose the former!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
See how close they get. This lady can even smile for the camera. The little kid was not wearing a helmet. He wore a hat instead. I guess hats and baseball caps are stronger and tougher than helmets in Vietnam.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Just wear a baseball cap and with just one hand on the bike handle, off your go on your bike. No problems!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Run! The bikers from hell are coming.

Travelling in a car/taxi is as scary as crossing the street on foot. They honk whenever and wherever they like. There are no road rules in HCM City. Oh dear, I had the culture shock of my life when I was there!

7 Comments:

Blogger letti said...

that's almost like cyclists in china

11:02 AM  
Blogger Joez said...

Sakai...now my hand starts to itch...better remind myself not to drive when visiting there.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bikers in Batu ferringhi coastal roads are equally bad. They'll stop in the middle of the road to answer the phone! And you know the winding coastal roads are narrow and full of blind corners. One knock and they're dead man.

-Jinny

2:02 PM  
Blogger ks said...

Letti - Yes, only difference is motorbikes are more dangerous.

Joez - Sometimes I also wanna sakai the motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic in a jam. They accidentally knock my side mirror and act as if nothing happen. I get so &#&%#@*! what I can do is only to watch them continue to weave in and out of the traffic in front and finally disappear. I tumbuk my side of the window to vent my anger sometimes!

Jinny - There used to be these lumba haram gang in Batu Feringghi area. They ride in groups and the over take in the winding road from Rasa Sayang up to Gurney Drive. I dont know if they still exist now.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Joez said...

KS, i can understand how u feel...even as passenger, I was swearing (when my friend was driving).

11:25 PM  
Blogger lucia said...

i'm at both ends here. from my house to the church (and vice versa), i take the car with my sister as the driver, and curse at the bikers who hog the centre of the lane, or those who knock the car's rear mirror. then from church to my office, i take my bike (chaly), i curse at cars that drive too close to me or who 'bully' me by cutting out of a lane before i pass through (the main road). hahaha.

11:58 PM  
Blogger ks said...

Lucia - Me too. When I am on 2 wheels I curse at those on 4 wheels trying to get too close and vice versa. But seldom travel on 2 wheels now. I like the new scooters...

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home