Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Baby God

Taoist believes there are many kinds of Gods. Similar to the Indians. The picture below is an interesting one. It shows the Baby God or known as the "Loh Chiar Kong". As the name suggest, this God is a baby. So what do you offer to a baby? Well you offer a baby a pacifier, of course. No kidding. See for yourself - 5 "gu leng taus" are offered to the Baby God.

www.dictionary.com defines a "gu leng tau" as a rubber or plastic nipple or teething ring for a baby to suck or chew on.


The puppets in action - presumably to entertain the deities.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ping-Ping said...

wow..they actually let you take pictures of those? Everytime I go to temple with my grandma (I can't remember where are they exactly and for what purpose but some are the ones near 'Lai Lai' [if it is still there] round-a-bout before Air Itam), and I want to take pictures, she always say that it is forbidden and it is rude..but maybe that's just her opinion.

But anyway, what I wanted to comment is these are great pictures and the remarks is very useful especially for people like me who never did want to pay attention when I was asked to go to the temple to accompany my grandma but now that I'm studying in another country, I realized how important it is for us to know all about the traditional culture.

1:14 AM  
Blogger ks said...

Thanks for your comments. They allow me to snap any pics I want. So I guess it's ok to take pics.

I know there is one temple opposite "Lai Lai" inside the housing estate. Is that the one?

7:21 PM  
Blogger Ping-Ping said...

yeah..it's surrounded by houses and is actually quite a quiet temple unlike those in Pulau Tikus. It is still there right?

1:13 AM  
Blogger ks said...

I havent been to that area for a long time. But i guess it's still there.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home