Monday, March 14, 2005

Folklore my mother told me

My mother used to tell me stories when I was little, I mean really little like when I was 5 or 6 years old young. These stories are not from childrens fairy tale books like Cinderella, Seven Dwafts, Alice in Wonderland and the likes. The stories my mother told me were different. They are more like urban legend stories. Localised urban legend stories, folklore, myths, whatever you wanna name it.

One particular story is not to cut my nails at night. The sound of nails being cut will attract ghosts.

Another one is one should not whistle at night especially when walking alone. Same consequence, ghosts will come after you.

When I was a kid, I was not allowed to point at the moon. If I did, then my ear lobe would be slit when I wake up the next morning.

Have you been told of such stories when you were small?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jason Lioh said...

My grandmother used to tell me all these, not my parents. :P But the thing is, I never believed. :P Do you?

12:05 AM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Got.....all the ghosts stories are the same. My neighbour told me if I tie a white string from the banana tree to my bedroom window, the ghost will come into my room.

12:34 AM  
Blogger letti said...

you want REAL scary stories, you should go read http://jinxiaoyang.blogspot.com/ and her archives...eek!

1:24 AM  
Blogger KEF said...

Don't walk in quiet corridors, some ghost will appear out of no where to find you...

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUNTU ONE
HUNTU TWO
YOU SEE ONE
WILL LOOK LIKE YOU.

HUNTU TWO
HUNTU THREE
ONE TWO THREE HUNTU
LOOKS JUST LIKE YOU?

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right now my mind has gone blank, but i know i was told many things mainly
superstitious stuff .

5:25 PM  
Blogger lucia said...

ya, ada... those and many others. usually most of them are superstions. some are told just to scare kids not to do something. e.g. and some have some logic in them, though the logic was not stated. e.g. the one about cutting nail at night. presumably this started long ago when people's house do not have lighting (use candles only) so the logic was not to cut your nails at night when it was dark as you might not be able to see well. but through the ages, people add this and that, until 'superstitous logic' came out instead.

11:14 PM  
Blogger ks said...

Jason - That time small boy mah. Dunno anything so just follow they say la.

Lilian - I heard of that one too.

Letti - Thanks for sharing. Will check it out.

Ee Fei - Wah... this one I have never heard b4.

Anonymous - It's hantu not huntu!

Sweetspirit - What kind of superstitious stuff ya got in Oz?

Lucia - yes, it's mostly superstitions. The chinese are most famous for that.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KS THANKS FOR THE CORRECT SPELLING
MALAY SPELLING AND WORDS ARE REATHER STRANGE.
eg POLICE=POLIC
WATER=AIR (AIR AS IN "FRESH-AIR" ETC.
GOOD-DAY MATE

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home